EXPLAINED: The casual employment information statement (the CEIS)
The amendment act introduces a Casual Employment Information Statement (CEIS) which is to be given to all casuals. The CEIS can be downloaded from the fair work ombudsman website in word or PDF version.
The CEIS has information about:
- The definition of a casual employee
- When an employer has to offer casual conversion
- When an employer doesn’t have to offer casual conversion
- When a casual employee can request casual conversion
- Casual conversion entitlements of casual employees employed by small business employers
- The role of the Fair Work Commission to deal with disputes about casual conversion.
Providing the CEIS
Employers can give casual employees the CEIS:
- In person
- By mail
- By email
- By emailing a link to this page of our website
- By emailing a link to a copy of the CEIS available on the employer’s intranet
- By fax
- By another method
What to do now!
All employers, small and large, regardless of the number of employees you have must now do the following 3 things.
1. Go to Fair Work Ombudsman site and download the CEIS. You can simply type CEIS in to the “search” field on the top right hand side of any of their website pages.
2. Give your existing casual employees a copy of the CEIS as soon as possible after 27 March 2021.
3. Amend your onboarding processes to now ensure that every new casual employee you hire from now on, receives a Casual Employment Information Statement (the CEIS) before, or as soon as possible after, they start their new job with you.
HR Tactics – HR Consultants Brisbane – Outsourced HR
This information was provided with the intention of helping you find more clarity, confidence and peace of mind as you navigate your own journey as an employer. I would love to hear your thoughts on this, and if you think someone else would enjoy it please feel free to share it on.
If you want some fast and free tips on how to improve the HR processes in your business right now, start with our free little ebook.
If you want to hear more about the various HR solutions HR Tactics provides to the SME market and/or discuss solutions that would be most suited to your unique business, make sure you reach out.
Or ask us a question at our HR Q&A page and receive an answer to your question for free. We’re here to help.