Susan Sheehan from SmartCoach7 TV presents Jackie Strachan, Founder, CEO & HR Strategist at HR Tactics – explaining the 5 HR strategies every business owner should be prioritising regardless of the number of employees you have.
Here’s the interview where I asked Jackie to explain how her Company HR Tactics helps business owners build more sustainable businesses and stress less and what the ‘Must Do’s’ are when it comes to HR Management
Q: Jackie, what’s your field of expertise and how does your business help business owners?
I’ve been in the HR field for 20+ years and absolutely LOVE what I do. HR is so multifaceted that there’s never a dull moment.
Some years back I started HR Tactics and my team and I provide HR Consulting services across all areas of HR from the hiring through to the firing and we also offer growing SMEs an outsourced HR solution. This is our Off-Site HR Manager Solution which delivers all the benefits of having a dedicated and qualified Human Resource Manager but without the massive salary and operating costs.
Because I know there are many businesses out there growing and once you have over around 15 employees, managing all the HR aspects of the business starts becoming quite onerous and the business owner or Office Manager or whoever has, often by default, become responsible for the HR tasks, finds themselves being pulled away from other important tasks more and more by people related matters and that’s where overwhelm becomes a significant factor and they start losing confidence and clarity around knowing which HR activities are the most essential. That’s the tipping point. That’s when they start considering hiring an inhouse HR Manager. But hiring an inhouse HR Manager these days requires a significant outlay with a salary for a HR Manager worth their salt running to 100K or more these days. Then you’ve got the on-costs plus Recruitment Agency fees if you use one, plus, plus, plus, oh and they’re on your books as a Manager so if things don’t work out you’ll have the ordeal of managing them out. That’s where we come in. We offer a MUCH better alternative to making that leap straight to employing an inhouse HR Manager.
Q: So who is HR Tactics’ ideal client?
- Those who have grown beyond 15 employees,
- Are still operating without any HR expertise,
- Have stepped in to what I call “the HR fog” where they’re feeling uncertain about which HR priorities they should be focusing on, wondering why employee turnover is as high as it is, and feeling overwhelmed with where all that is going and the impact it’s having on the business. There’s a lack of systems, structure and order around how HR is managed in the business and the cracks have started to show and it’ll only get worse as time goes on and more employees are brought on board.
Q: Jackie, how does having an Off-Site HR Manager differ to having an inhouse HR Manager?
Our prime objective is the same as an inhouse HR Manager, which is to ensure the right people are coming in to your business, get them performing as quickly as possible and making them want to stay.
However through my HR career I’ve come to know there are some HR strategies that have a greater impact on a businesses profitability than others, and those that have the greatest impact, are the HR strategies our Off-Site HR Managers focus on getting right first in the business. The other major difference is that we work smarter by leveraging the amazing technology available to us in the HR space now so that we can manage these HR priorities off-site, remotely. We don’t need to be on-site every day like traditional HR Managers. We provide a much more flexible, less costly, more efficient service by operating remotely. This makes it much simpler for our clients because we’re only needing to come into the business premises once a quarter.
The 5 HR priorities that you need to focus on getting right first?
So the 5 MOST essential HR strategies that move the needle for the business owner are:
- Expert Recruitment methodologies
- Structured Onboarding processes for new staff
- Measuring employee Engagement so you know what exactly is driving or hindering performance
- Fostering Wellbeing and
- HR Compliance – which is about ensuring you’re 100% compliant with Fair Work & WHS legislation
Because we know that without structure, order and clarity around these 5 first, significant spending money on other HR strategies is unwise.
Our philosophy is that every business owner deserves to have the business and the team they dreamed of back on day 1, so that’s why the very first thing our Off-Site HR Manager works with the business owner on is Vision. As you would know Susan, it all starts and stems from our Vision.
Q: Any last words?
If you’re a business owner and would love to be relieved from the stresses and uncertainty around hiring, managing and firing, so you can get back to feeling confident in your people and confidence in the future of your business, then reach out to us, we’re here to help.
TWO Offers for you
I’m actually going to give 2 offers Susan
- I’ve recently written a short HR guide on the 5 HR strategies I spoke about today and I’d love to send that to those with employees who really want to give their business the best opportunity to thrive right now. I’ve stuffed it full of practical tips to keep your business legally protected and your people performing. Here is the link to download it: https://hrtactics.com.au/ebook/
- The second gift I have is to invite you to pick up the phone and call me personally to discuss where your business is at right now, where you want to get it to, and what HR practices and processes you have in place. If you mention you read or listened to this interview then I’ll be happy to give you a minimum of 30 minutes on the phone and let you know what I see your most important HR priorities need to be over the next 6-12 months to get your business to where you want it to be.
Thank you so much for your time today Jackie and for the invaluable guidance you’ve provided our listeners. Listeners, it is clear from all HR Tactics Google Reviews that if you are in need of a HR Consultant Brisbane or are looking for an outsourced HR solution, HR Tactics are the team to contact. And if your business is elsewhere in Australia then HR Tactics are masters at utilising technology which ensures Jackie and her team can provide seamless HR Consulting services Australia wide.
This information was provided with the intention of helping you find more clarity, confidence and peace of mind as you navigate your own journey as an employer. I would love to hear your thoughts on this, and if you think someone else would enjoy it please feel free to share it on.
If you want some fast and free tips on how to improve the HR processes in your business, start with our free little ebook.
If you want to hear more about the various HR solutions HR Tactics provides to the SME market and/or discuss solutions that would be most suited to your unique business, make sure you reach out.
Or ask us a question at our HR Q&A page and receive an answer to your question for free. We’re here to help.