Safe Work Australia has issued these seven steps we are to follow:
- Isolate: Remove the person from others. SafeWork Australia recommends giving the person a surgical mask, if possible.
- Inform: Tell health authorities by calling the national COVID-19 hotline on 1800 020 080, and follow the advice of health officials. Depending on your situation, authorities could give you specific advice.
- Transport: Workplaces should make sure the person has transport, either to their home or to a medical facility.
- Clean: The area where the person has been working and all the places they have been should be cleaned. This may mean evacuating those areas. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) should be used when cleaning.
- Identify: Find out who at the workplace had close contact with the infected person recently, up to 24 hours before they first started experiencing symptoms. Those employees should be sent home to isolate. If the infected worker had contact with large parts of the workplace, all employees may have to self-isolate for 14 days.
Close contact means anyone who has been face-to-face for at least 15 minutes with the infected person or has been in the same space as them for two hours.
- Clean: The areas where these people have been should also be cleaned, this could involve the evacuation of these areas and cleaners should also use PPE.
- Review: The workplace should review the way it controls the risks of COVID-19 and decide whether work may need to change, with employees kept up to date on what is happening and on the appropriate safety procedures.
If you’re looking for more information and resources which will provide you clarity around what you need to do in preparing your business to reopen and maintaining safety beyond, don’t forget to access our COVID-19 Workplace Ready tool kit.
Stay safe everyone and don’t forget to keep social distancing
HR Tactics – HR Consultants Brisbane – Outsourced HR
What to do if someone in the workplace gets or suspects they have COVID-19
This information was provided with the intention of helping you find more clarity, confidence and peace of mind as you navigate your own journey as an employer. I would love to hear your thoughts on this, and if you think someone else would enjoy it please feel free to share it around.
If you want some fast and free tips on how to improve the HR processes in your business, start with our free little ebook available here
If you want to hear more about the various HR solutions HR Tactics provides to the SME market and/or discuss solutions that would be most suited to your unique business, make sure you reach out
Or ask us a question at our HR Q&A page and receive our advice for free. We’re here to help.